Mold in homes is very common. In Pennsylvania at least one of every four homes has mold. Older homes have mold due to poor insulation and outdated construction
(clogged-up drains, disconnected down spouts, leaking gutters, shrubbery close to exterior walls, overgrown trees, etc.) while new homes may have mold due to poor or inefficient air circulation. Some people don’t take mold very seriously until it has directly affected their personal health.
Is your house making you sick? Don’t be surprised if the answer is yes. According to the EPA, 6 out of 10 homes and buildings in the United States suffer from Sick Home Syndrome (also known as “Sick Building Syndrome” or SBS), meaning they harbor airborne pollutants that are hazardous to your health.
Some of the causes of Sick Home Syndrome include poorly functioning heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems, along with mites, molds and mold spores that grow where moisture and ventilation problems develop. These impurities, which also include pesticides and gases, can enter the body when we breathe or through skin pores, nasal cavities and cuts.
Symptoms can come and go quickly—from headaches, dizziness and nausea to sore throats, fever and skin rashes. You may notice them within an hour of entering your home, and they may be gone an hour or two after leaving home. Over time, more serious health issues can occur, including asthma, tremors and pulmonary hemorrhaging.
There is a local company now that has developed a new, environmentally safe technology to destroy dangerous these pathogens and microbes— and not just in the home but also in schools, hospitals, nursing homes, fitness centers, salons, cruise ships and airplanes—anywhere threatening germs live.