According to the U.S. Department of Energy, more than 40 percent of a home’s utility bill goes toward the heating and cooling of the home. An inefficient system could be driving up those energy costs. Air duct cleaning may seem like an unnecessary expense when selling a home, but it can potentially save energy, improve air quality and provide a selling point to buyers. Here’s what real estate professionals need to know about air duct cleaning and what to look for when deciding between different air duct cleaning services.
The Importance of Air Duct Cleaning
If the air ducts in a home are filled with contaminants, it could lead to breathing problems for people with allergies or asthma. Air ducts can also develop mold that can cause other illnesses. Dirty air ducts may also cause a musty, unpleasant odor in the air. If you’re selling a home where musty-smelling air is a problem, air duct cleanings may help.
Regular air duct cleaning can also allow the HVAC system to work more effectively. This helps the building stay cooler during hot seasons, and warmer during cold seasons. The HVAC system will typically work more effectively after an air duct cleaning, and any underlying issues can be exposed before they become more expensive problems. Additionally, new buyers can be assured that the “biological footprint” of the previous occupants has been removed if a reputable company is used!
What to Look for in an Air Duct Cleaning Service
There are many variables when searching for an effective air duct cleaning service. One of the biggest factors is certification from the National Air Duct Cleaners Association (NADCA). Being NADCA-certified means the individuals at the company took the time to become educated and trained to do this work professionally while following the safety guidelines the NADCA puts in place.
More criteria to look for when deciding on a service provider include:
- Is the cleaning product a hospital-grade disinfectant?
- Will the cleaning product deodorize musty smells?
- How reputable is the service? Do they have references or testimonials?
- Does the service company use a vacuum truck in order to put the ductwork system under negative air pressure?
- Can the company only clean and disinfect air ducts, or will they also clean bath fan exhausts and dryer pipes?
- Does the service have any way to prevent the growth of harmful fungi, molds or buildup of contaminants and waste?
- Are before and after photos provided?
- Does the service provide a warranty or a satisfaction guarantee?
When selling a home, air duct cleaning can be an important part of the process. Dirty air ducts can negatively affect a homeowner’s health, and it can lead to musty smelling air in the home. If left untreated, it can also raise the energy bill. Give homebuyers and sellers peace of mind by having a thorough ductwork cleaning before showing or selling a house. Bactronix offers full-service air duct cleaning, including hospital-grade disinfection and bathroom and dryer vent cleaning. Visit this page for more information.